Number of Positions
Deputy News Editor
Deputy News Editor - News
Line Manager -
Context of Role
Working from home during the pandemic and then in the newsroom when we return the Deputy News Editor will help the newsroom bring data into its decision making across all platforms. They will also stand in for the News Editors in running the day for the Forces News team and ensuring all platforms – digital, radio and TV are served. They will have good editorial and legal knowledge.
Direct Reports / Internal relationships
- No direct reports.
- Working directly with the News Editors, Radio Editors, Video Output Editors and Digital News Editors. Liaising with reporters/camera Ops
Working to the News Editors the Deputy News Editor will:
Inform editorial decisions via analytics and data.
Chase news lines/filming opportunities in defence.
Deputise for news editors in setting editorial priorities/running meetings.
Assign reporters/camera ops to stories
Working with the Output Editors to liaise with those out on stories.
Build and maintain relationships in the defence sphere.
- Ensuring the newsroom decision making is informed by data. Ensuring Forces News is as up to date and well informed as possible on the issues around defense.
- Demonstrable experience on a news desk.
- Data literacy: experience in understanding and using data to inform day to day work
- Confidence juggling multiple stories at once
- The ability to risk assess a situation before deploying crews
Some experience of leading a team is preferred but not essential
- 2+ years’ experience.
- Degree is desirable
- Understanding of Google analytics
- Understanding of native analytics in youtube/facebook/insta/twitter
- Legal knowledge
- A collaborative approach to getting things done.
- Excellent time management and an ability to prioritise.
- Good understanding of legal and OFCOM frameworks.
- A strong awareness of current events.
- An interest in military history, current world events and an awareness of modern military vernacular is desirable.
- High professional standards.
- Confident, proactive, organised and motivated.
- Interest in news.
- Prepared to undergo security check and sign the Official Secrets Act.
- Full driving license is desirable