Number of Positions
Post: Programme Planner
Line Manager: Content Programming Manager
Duties: Construction and management of linear and non-linear Programme Plans and Schedules on a day-to-day basis as part of the Content Programming Team which, along with Rights and Acquisitions supports the Broadcasting and Entertainment directorate in curating the most competitive and imaginative TV output possible, ensuring plans complement the schedules of other channels in the TV portfolio, compete effectively and deliver the strategic, audience-lead objectives of the BFBS TV platforms
- Maintain the detailed current schedule and advise on the mix of content needed to fulfil strategic objectives. Understanding of short, medium and longer term tactical planning and scheduling strategies across linear and OTT. Ensure audience research and platform data is utilised to properly inform and support scheduling decisions and changes
- Responsibility for the accurate input and assignment of metadata for internal workflows and delivery/channel output management across multiple platforms: linear satellite television, optical media and OTT including VOD and catch-up
- Anticipate and resolve cross channel + platform scheduling issues. Optimise the flow of information across and between platforms to ensure that schedules across all services are complementary and that opportunities to share themes and avoid duplication / clashes are taken
- Engage with all areas of the TV department on a daily basis and be a point of contact for any issue that may arise, providing exceptional service levels to both internal and external clients. Process change and inform all stakeholders
- Produce and deliver integrated Programme Plans, working closely with Rights and Acquisitions, On-Air, Playout and Technology Product teams, plus manage all materials in adherence to current strategy and valid licence arrangements between BFBS and external suppliers. Take responsibility for the timely release of all linear and non-linear Programme Plans, maintaining accuracy and validity of items within programme catalogue database, monitor inventories and usage of runs
- Create and manage EPG schedules in advance of transmission, ensuring accuracy and updating of amendments where necessary, including secondary function e.g advanced metadata and channel/platform management
- Sound editorial judgement and a keen eye for detail. Up to date with current broadcasting trends and target audience mass appreciation, plus MoD Broadcasting Contract KPIs relevant to the provision of BFBS TV services. Recognise strengths and weaknesses, devise and implement changes for any necessary improvement
- Ensure all Programme Planning is OFCOM compliant and in line with local regulatory guidelines and BFBS policy
- To keep abreast of current affairs in the event that unscheduled changes need to be implemented
- Co-ordinate and communicate the status of long form programme versions across all schedules to transmission teams, internal stakeholders, business clients and suppliers, keeping up to date on material movements and requirements, allowing for their timely delivery
- Attend meetings and perform other duties as and when required
PERSON SPECIFICATION – Programme Planner
Essential - Good general knowledge of UK television programming, both linear and non-linear, content trends and audience habit.
Essential - Proven administration skills, completing tasks to tight deadlines and delivering against a defined strategy.
Essential - Use of different social media and on-demand content platforms.
Desirable - TV content planning experience or a background in presentation scheduling, production management, or rights & acquisitions.
Desirable - Has used data to drive decision making for content production, content scheduling or social media marketing.
Skills & Aptitudes:
Essential - Professional communicator (written and oral).
Essential - Good attention to detail, ensuring accuracy in documentation and data.
Essential - A flexible and collaborative approach, ability to work well as part of a team and on own initiative.
Essential - Good understanding of audience research and analysis. Good understanding of how user groups and demographics consume TV content.
Essential - Is able to think ahead in order to establish an effective and appropriate course of action for self and others. Prioritises and plans activities taking into account all the relevant issues and factors such as deadlines, staffing and resources.
Essential - Embrace and enable change.
Essential - Broadcast and OTT scheduling techniques and associated software.
Essential - Proficiency in Office 365
Desirable - Provys Scheduling System
Desirable - Experience / knowledge of the Armed Forces
Esssential - High professional standards with an ability to work to tight deadlines
Essential - Pleasant and personable with a good sense of humour
Essential - Demonstrates enthusiasm, commitment, capacity for sustained effort and hard work over long periods. Remains calm, objective and in control in stressful situations; maintaining stable performance under pressure.
Essential - Prepared to undergo security check and sign the Official Secrets Act
Essential - Prepared to undergo appropriate Company Medicals
Essential - Full driving licence or ability to commute to Chalfont St Peter regularly.