Number of Positions
About the Company
BFBS is a charity and media organisation with a mission to entertain, inform, connect and champion the UK armed forces, their families and veterans.
We strive to be a diverse and inclusive employer, welcoming open-minded, talented and creative people from all kinds of backgrounds, and with different preferences and experiences. What we all have in common is a commitment to trust, quality, innovation and going the extra mile to achieve our mission. It’s a great place to work, with a unique mix of a charity, broadcast and digital creative environment.
As an organisation, we have lived and worked with the military community for over 75 years, and we are incredibly proud of our roots.
Our radio, TV and digital channels boost the morale of the armed forces serving overseas – and their families – keeping them connected with home, while our agile distribution solutions are tailored to each local environment and infrastructure, providing media services wherever the armed forces are overseas.
Across a growing number of platforms, our captivating military storytelling is popular with both the armed forces community and curious civilians. And our creative, training and events services offer award-winning expertise and skills to defence and government.
We are an equal opportunities employer who actively encourages people from all cultural backgrounds and with disabilities to apply.
About The Department
The Technology Department has around 50 broadcast and IT engineers who are responsible for the design and operation of all of BFBS’s technical operations, facilities and capital projects. Our technology challenges are at the cutting edge of broadcast and IP technology, demanding a visionary approach, with practical experience and proven management ability. This role is a rare opportunity within the broadcast industry to work on truly innovative solutions which make a real difference to the lives of people who serve their country.
About The Role.
We are looking for an experienced, certified Project Manager to deliver successful business and technical changes within BFBS through effective application of project management methodologies. You will drive specific and measurable business benefits through successful delivery of these projects to support the company’s vision, strategy and core objectives. The Project Manager will report directly into and working closely with the Head of Projects to ensure all projects are delivered within the governance processes and procedures, ensuring that they are effectively maintained and adhered to. The Project Manager will provide guidance and assurance to all our colleagues across the business, to deliver end-to-end change through the project lifecycle. You will be required to work collaboratively with critical stakeholders (internal and external), build and maintain key relationships which will see you through successful project delivery. The Project Manager will be required to deliver several projects concurrently, identified and initiated by the wider business to support corporate and strategic objectives. Each project will vary in size, scale, complexity and budgetary value. The Project Manager will need to effectively communicate from peer level through to Senior Management and CEO level. You will be required to work closely with the various heads of departments to ensure a collaborative approach to matrix resource management (internal and external) and the transitioning of project outputs into in life service operations. This will include full support models, documentation and training. Through the employment of defined governance, the Project Manager will aim to drive cultural change internally and will have some experience of the most common project management methodologies such as waterfall and agile. They should also have full accreditation as necessary. The Project Manager will be expected to deputise for the Head of Projects during periods of absence, representing the department as required and they should be highly organised with the ability to deal with multiple conflicting demands and the prioritisation of critical requirements.
Key responsibilities & Prerequisites.
• Ensure that the governance approach in place is applied and adhered to thereby enabling all projects to be properly and effectively scoped, resourced and delivered on time and within budget.
• Ability to adopt the most applicable management approach on a project by project basis, utilising multiple methodologies such as waterfall or Agile, dependent upon the individual needs of the project.
• Demonstrates experience of managing and leading projects successfully with consideration for budgeting, planning, quality management, problem solving, reporting and risk management.
• Ability to produce project management plans and to get agreement with stakeholders for the purpose, nature and scope of the project and secure the mandate to proceed into shaping the project. Producing and maintaining detailed and high-level project plans.
• Ensure that all new solutions, products, systems and services developed within projects are documented, workflows understood, training supplied and effectively ‘handed over’ and transitioned into Business As Usual operations.
• Matrix manage any internal resources associated with all projects at any time and directly manage any external resource as appropriate.
• Ability to write business cases, produce and manage all project control documentation i.e. project initiation documents (PID), budget forecasts.
• Ability to present and communicate technical and project information and issues to both technical and non-technical audiences, clearly and concisely both in written and verbal form.
• Create a performance culture by setting standards, objectives and targets for the team and lead by example.
• Establish and maintain internal relationships across the broader business including at senior management level and secure buy-in.
• Support the Head of Projects in managing the budget across the Project team.
• Ensure that you are aware of and compliant against BFBS’s health & safety guidelines and that a safe operational environment is always maintained within the Technology department.
• Collaborate with key stakeholders, provide technical/functional assistance in identifying, evaluating and developing solutions and processes that are cost effective and meet user requirements.
• Understand, capture and communicate business direction, challenges and requirements.
• Participation in solution discussions to evaluate and propose solution designs and approaches.
• Ability to manage and coordinate the qualitative testing of all solution aspects including, but not limited to acceptance, security, performance, and integration.
• Ability to deliver business solutions that include technology implementations and/or adaptations. Desirable Qualifications and Experience.
• Project Management experience of 2-3 years (within a formalised governance environment) with a minimum of 4 projects managed.
• A recognised project management qualification such as APM, PRINCE2 or PMI
• Confident in project management processes and the use of these (such as agile, waterfall) • Familiar user of MS Project and other tools, i.e. SharePoint
• Previous experience working within a technology or has Broadcasting industry experience
• Experience in remote working and delivering projects remotely • Managed software/application development focussed projects
• An understanding of IT, broadcasting, IPTV, OTT and how digital technology contributes to the services being delivered, e.g. digital asset management
• Experienced in translating technical information into more meaningful insight which can be understood by non-technical stakeholders
• Experience of managing multiple stakeholders at all levels within a matrix environment, from peer level to senior management and up to CEO.
• Experience of managing external third-party suppliers, contracts and procurement of products and services
• Experience of implementing new initiatives or driving through process change and new ways of working
• Demonstrable experience of working effectively within collaborative team structures, ideally in a technology focussed business environment
• Experience in business analysis would be advantageous
• Attention to detail; self-starter, delivery focused, works to own initiative and has a strong focus on successful project completion. Willingness to travel within the UK and overseas as required, sometimes in remote locations
• Willingness to gain SC clearance