Number of Positions
BFBS is a charity and media organisation with a mission to entertain, inform, connect and champion the UK armed forces, their families and veterans.
We strive to be a diverse and inclusive employer, welcoming open-minded, talented and creative people from all kinds of backgrounds, and with different preferences and experiences. What we all have in common is a commitment to trust, quality, innovation and going the extra mile to achieve our mission. It’s a great place to work, with a unique mix of a charity, broadcast and digital creative environment.
As an organisation, we have lived and worked with the military community for over 75 years, and we are incredibly proud of our roots.
Our radio, TV and digital channels boost the morale of the armed forces serving overseas – and their families – keeping them connected with home, while our agile distribution solutions are tailored to each local environment and infrastructure, providing media services wherever the armed forces are overseas.
Across a growing number of platforms, our captivating military storytelling is popular with both the armed forces community and curious civilians. And our creative, training and events services offer award-winning expertise and skills to defence and government.
We are an equal opportunities employer who actively encourages people from all cultural backgrounds and with disabilities to apply.
To apply, please send your C.V and a covering letter telling us why you fit the role and please state your salary expectations too, to [email protected]
Would you please also complete the Equality and Diversity Information Form provided on our website and return it as part of your application.
This advert has no close date, we reserve the right to close it at any time and interview candidates as and when they apply, therefore, we encourage applicants to apply as soon as they see the advert. Thank you.
We thank you for your interest and application. We can’t guarantee to be able to respond to all applicants, therefore, if we do not contact you within 28 days of applying, you have been unsuccessful. Please look out for other opportunities on our website http://jobs.bfbs.com
Line Manager - Transmission Supervisor
Direct Reports - None
Summary of Duties:
Responsible for the acquisition, editing and transmission of media relating to the various BFBS TV services
- Manage automated and manual ingest of programme material
- Non linear/linear editing of programme material
- Work with MAM and Playout systems and workflow
- Provide first line fault correction with regard to programme media
- Check that material for daily Playout schedules is complete and in correct state for transmission
- Monitor channel outputs for quality and continuity of service including adherence to broadcast standards
- Live operation and editing of Playout systems in accordance with schedules provided by On-Air team and editorial style guide(s)
- Direct Liaison with MCR and control rooms to ensure occasional feeds are available
- Responsible for the deployment of redundant systems under failure conditions
- Ability to work under pressure and to strict deadlines
- Ability to prioritise own workload
- Very organised and accurate with attention to detail.
- Undertake travel within UK and overseas as appropriate and approved by Line Management;
- Responsible for own personal development and on-going professional/ specialist training as agreed with Line Management;
- Be a team player with good ethical values and respectful of colleagues within the division and other business areas within the Corporation;
- Undertake ad hoc tasks and projects as required by Line Management;
- Comply with all SSVC Policies and procedures, including the Health and Safety Policy and SSVC Quality Manual.
PERSON SPECIFICATION –
-Essential - Media training and/or experience within a Playout/Transmission environment
-Essential - Reasonable standard of general education i.e. GCSE English & Maths or equivalent
-Desirable - HND or degree in relevant area of broadcast operations
Skills & Aptitudes/ Personal Qualities
- Essential - Ability to prioritise own workload
- Essential - Very good communication skills
- Essential - Posses excellent interpersonal and organisational skills
- Essential - Be a team player
- Essential - Able to work well under pressure and to adhere to strict deadlines
- Essential - Very organised and accurate with attention to detail
- Essential - Desire to expand technical knowledge within IT and broadcast systems and progress career within the company building on learned skills and abilities
- Essential - Professional experience of operation of broadcast and IT equipment
- Desirable - Be able to demonstrate thorough knowledge of the end to end process of Channel Playout
- Desirable - Knowledge of the British Armed Forces
- Essential - Prepared to work a rostered shift pattern including unsociable hours and Bank Holidays
- Essential - Prepared to undergo Security Check, sign the Official Secrets Act and abide by Military Law.
- Essential - Prepared to undergo appropriate Company Medicals.
- Essential - Full driving licence. Willing to drive MoD vehicles if required.